Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Black History Model Edition Dorothea Towles Church"

So in American we all know the first black female to become a modeling phenom was no other than Beverly Johnson. By gracing the cover of American Vogue in 1974 she instantly shattered stereotypes and perceptions of beauty or as I like to call it beautay!!!!  Since this is my own little fashion forum I have  researched and want to show you some of my favorite models of black origin,and also show a bit of where the black model was born


Lady Dorothea Towles Church the first Black model to not only touch down in Paris 1949 and get a gig but she was handpicked by Christian Dior himself. She was a beautiful woman as well as a black woman and said herself even with all the stereotypes about Parisians and black people" They don't care what color you are if you are beautiful." There she was just an American and not the black girl. Not afraid of a little controversy after dealing with Pierre Balmain (also a master designer) to let her use dresses for an Ebony magazine shoot he declined for obvious reasons, but she told him she just wanted to wear them, and used them anyway for the Ebony photo spread. Balmains publicist refused due to fear of black women not really able to afford such pieces. Dorothea said she knew better , because she knew her black history and black society. In short she knew plenty of black folks who could undoubtedly afford Balmain's work She not only Pioneered a revolution  for black models but she also showed sometimes you can't take no for and answer.


P.S If you are a fashion lover like me and had no idea this woman existed shame on you shame on me. I am a firm believer in knowing your history and she is a major part of it. I will never say I know all there is to know But I sure will take time to find out if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts